Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Flu Season: Prisoners in Our Own Homes

In writing my brother this week I told him that I could sympathize with his situation. If you don't know me well, let me explain, my brother is incarcerated in a Federal Prison. It's a long story and maybe I'll blog about it another time. I explained to my brother that I was living in my very own prison. The children are my jailers and sickness and bad weather are the barbed wire fences or bars. During flu season we run the risk of being sick just by leaving the house. It is every where library, grocery store, schools, restaurants, door handles, shopping carts, sink faucets, toilet seats, tables and chairs.  My home was taken over the whole month of January. Zeke had fevers ranging from 101 to 105.4 for 6 dayS. And almost as soon as we recovered we were sick again. Violet is back in school this week, but for how long? I am still sick today with a low grade fever, this is day 10 for me. When will it end?? Should we stock up on supplies and hunker down for the rest of the winter?? Should we stop living our lives?? Or live every day in fear?? It is a never ending battle and we will prevail!! We will stand up and say, NO MORE GERMS, NO MORE!! I spent the weekend completely sanitizing my house, from top to bottom. We will survive this miserable flu season. We will not bow down and duck out. We will walk bravely into whatever business, school or bathroom that we need to and we will hold our heads high!! Because without illness there are no immunities!! Without suffering there is no triumph!!

No comments:

Post a Comment