Friday, February 24, 2012

Finding my self in the woods

I took a walk today, all alone, in the woods. You see, I was introduced to Meditation at the beginning of the week, where I was taken on a visual journey through the forest. It was very peaceful and calming and ever since then I have wanted to take an actual journey into the forest. Today was like seeing everything for the first time. I have hiked with the kids often for the past two years, but there is something magical about being there alone. I always hear people say, "Don't go hiking woods alone (insert scary scenario here.)" I have been hiking solo for years, I grew up in the woods, they are my home and my spiritual connection. I feel completely safe and serene in the woods. From the moment that I step into the forest, I see God all around me. I feel his presence with the sun on my face, the wind in my hair, the rustling of the leaves, the creaking of the trees, the chirping of the birds. I feel like my whole body relaxes and takes in the beauty around me. Today I walked slow and let it all soak in. I stopped several times to admire the view, to breathe the air, to pray and give thanks for everything good in my life. In this quiet hour alone. I felt more myself than I have in years, I didn't worry about what happened before or what was to come, nothing mattered except for being completely present in that moment. Today was a gift and I accepted it with open arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment