Monday, January 2, 2012

Through the Trees



In the past two days we have done two hikes as a family. This isn't a rarity it's something we do quite often. We all get exercise and we have a great time together in this beautiful place that we live. Today we hiked Big Glassy, which I am embarrassed to admit that I have never hiked in my adult life. In fact, probably the last time I hiked it I was only a little older than Violet is now. I remember thinking how steep the trail was and how long it took to get to the top. My kids have done a lot of hiking in the past year and I don't think they found it nearly as intimidating as I had at that age. We made the mistake of letting them wear their new snow boots so the biggest complaint was sore feet from Zeke on the way up. It feels really good to share the love of the forest with my kids. I love the cold breeze in the shade and the warmth of the sun shining through the trees. I love the sound and smell of the dry leaves on the ground. We sat together at the top of the mountain enjoying the view and had a picnic together. I love my little family and I love spending quality time with them.  When we headed back down the mountain Mike and the kids ran ahead, I kept up for a while walking at a quick pace and eventually told them they didn't have to wait for me. Soon they were out of sight, I could still hear their laughter and screams as they chased Mike down the mountain side :) After a while I could no longer hear them and I began to miss them. It's funny, you would think that I would appreciate a quite walk in the woods alone. Instead I realized that they didn't need me in that moment. I thought as I walked in the quiet, that my kids are growing up. Tomorrow Violet goes back to school, the following day I am taking Zeke to check out his new preschool. From now until summer time our lives will be busy and hectic, and the busier things get the quicker time passes. My babies aren't babies anymore, they aren't even toddlers, they are preschoolers!! This year I really would like to make time to slow down. To go on more hikes, have more picnics, read more, play more, cuddle more, and create more special memories. I don't ever want to spend a day were I am ungrateful of all that I have. I love my family!!
Yesterday's hike at Jump Off Rock.

1 comment:

  1. They really are growing up too fast...and we love you too!

    ReplyDelete