Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Creating an Outer Space Room for Zeke

So I still have a long way to go, but a few of my friends have asked how I made the vinyl wall decals for Zeke's room so here goes. I wanted to do a theme that would grow with him. He really doesn't know much about space, yet, but completely by coincidence he is learning about space this week at his new preschool.

The most frustrating part of the whole thing was finding sheets of vinyl for a reasonable price. Now that I know what I  am looking for it will be much easier in the future. This is what I found http://www.amazon.com/12-Adhesive-Backed-Vinyl-Assorted-Cutters/dp/B00331S0GO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326310048&sr=8-2. In the future I would buy bigger sheets because there is so much that I would like to do with them and I am already running out of some colors that I would like to have for Violet's room.
These are the colors I had to work with.

 I borrowed these from my mother in law and intended to only use them with paper, but to my surprise the cut vinyl just as easily as card stock. (Don't worry if I had messed any of them up I would have replaced them.
I traced and printed these off of the computer as templates to trace the shapes that I needed onto the back side of the vinyl. And then I cut them out and simply stuck them to the wall!
 I like the contrast in the sizes and colors of the stars
I am still adding to it, in fact I have added more stars since I took this picture. It may not be done till the end of the year, but his walls finally aren't bare.

I plan to make paper mache planets to hang from the ceiling and I have plans for some foam 3D rockets as well as a few framed pictures to go with the one below.
This one is made from scrapbook paper I have been collecting for a few years.

Feel free to leave me a comment to let me know what you think. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment